The Mozartkino in the Altstadthotel Kasererbraeu - probably the oldest cinema in Europe!
The screens of the Mozartkino have been showing films since 1905. This makes it one of the first and oldest cinemas in the world that is still in operation, which you can feel immediately when entering the unique cinemas.
For the premiere of "Sissi" in 1956, the Salzburgers flooded the halls of the Mozart cinema. Not just because of the film - but because of Romy Schneider, who appeared in person at the premiere of her film. She spent the night in room 323 of the Hotel Kasererbraeus. The hand-painted bed in which she spent the night remains unchanged in the room at the end of the corridor. Also Luis Trenker did not miss the opportunity to be personally present at the premiere of his film on 05.12.1962 at the Mozartkino in Salzburg.
For the premiere of "Traumland der Sehnsucht" in 1961, the Greek queen Friederike together with her daughter Sophia and Juan Carlos (the future royal couple of Spain) were guests at the Mozartkino. Like other prominent visitors, the pictures hang in the lobby of the Mozart cinema.
In addition to Romy Schneider and Luis Trenker, many other stars took their seats in the Mozart cinema and stayed overnight in the Hotel Kasererbraeu:
- Maria Schell, she slept in room 324
- Romy Schneider Room 323
- Atilla Hörbiger
- Joe Stöckl
- Toni Sailer
... just to name a few.
A piece from ancient Rome in Mozart's cinema. At the time of Roman high culture, Salzburg was one of the most important settlements north of the Alps, not least because of its good geographical location on the edge of the massive mountain range. In 1987, in the course of extensive renovation work, the Mozartkino discovered the remains of historic Roman walls. This piece of wall, dating back to approx. 200 years AC, is now located next to the screen in the "Römer Saal" (Roman Hall), which is named after it. This only exists once in the world, and therefore the Mozartkino is one of the most historic cinemas in the world in two respects.
Where a Roman Asklepios temple once stood, the monks of Reichenhall established a monastery hostel in San Zeno in 1342 in the building that already existed at that time. In 1526 the spiritual "hotel" became the "wine house to the white lion". In 1713 it bears the name "Kässerers Würthsbehausung beim weißen Lewen" (Kaserers Wirtshaus zum Weißen Löwen) and in 1775 for the first time Kasererbräu. The facade of the house dates from the end of the 18th century.