The gallery was founded by Friedrich Welz (1903-1980), who took over his father's gilding and framing business at Sigmund-Haffner-Gasse 16 in Salzburg in 1934.
The present gallery premises date back to a reconstruction in 1974. The gallery's tradition is reflected in its work with today's Classical Modernism and Austrian contemporary painting. Parallel to this there is a third central focus: Austrian sculpture after 1945 with works by Fritz Wotruba and the sculptors of the first generation after Wotruba as well as contemporary sculpture of the 20th and 21st centuries.
Paintings, watercolours, drawings and sculptures from Austrian and international classical modernism, German and Austrian Expressionism and, above all, contemporary art, with a special focus on Austrian artists, are presented on two floors in around 10 exhibitions each year.
The graphics department offers a broad spectrum, from international prints to Japanese woodblock prints. The selection includes inexpensive works that are suitable as an introduction to collecting, such as high-quality prints of Classical Modernism.
The gallery premises house an art bookstore and, since the gallery was founded, a framing shop, in which a professional framing and restoration of frames and paintings is guaranteed.
In the art bookshop, new publications of the art book market are offered in addition to publications of the gallery's publishing house (art books, art prints, art postcards).